Saturday, February 20, 2010

*No Bake Mango Pie

Diwali is one festival very close to my heart.It reminds me of my childhood when our family used to sit together in kitchen and make sweets for guests who used to visit us and bring sweets and different savoury.So every year my moms staple for Diwali was gulab jamuns,gujia,home made mixture,suji laddu.More than anything I used to enjoy the Diwali eve,because of the family togetherness.When I go back in time they always seem so special.I really miss Diwali away from my family.Still Diwali keeps a special position in my heart and always will remain so.Well,they are now memories,,,,,sweet memories..
So here comes the new recipes and my first recipe for my blog-Mango pie.The fact that it doesn't have to be baked made it simple make ahead desert and you have time for other dishes on any party day.
This was my first experience of making this desert.I had this desert in one of the party at my friend Divya's place and liked it a lot and got the recipe almost 2 years now :) The reason for delay ,,well it called for sour cream and it is not a staple in my kitchen.So the purchase of sour cream took me two years.So on Diwali party I made this mango pie but was very doubtful if anyone will like it or not.So I didn't serve it on the table.But one friend was not having rasmalai,so i asked her with hesitation if she would like to try some mango pie.And then took it out of the freeze and sliced and it was over within minutes.The wives made sure their husbands had a piece and that's the reason why it was over.And it is worth a try,,,,the fact that it is mango there is a very little chance that you can go wrong with it.
Ingredients:
2 cups Mango puree(I used store bought)
2 sachet unflavoured gelatin(I used Knox gelatin)
1 cup hot water
1 pie crust(I used graham cracker crust-the stored bought,you can make your own by crushing
graham crackers and mixing with butter too)
200 gm of SOUR CREAM :)
2 tb sp cream cheese(I used Philadelphia brand)
3-4 tbsp sugar
1 tsp vanilla essence
1 t sp strawberry flavour jello(optional red colour just gives it a spark )
3-4 tb sp hot water for strawberry jello








Preparation:
1.Mix 2 sachet of unflavoured gelatin in 1 cup of hot water.let it dissolve completely
2.In a blender pour mango pulp,sour cream,cream cheese,sugar,vanilla essence and blend well until the desired consistency is reached.
3. Fold in the mango mixture in gelatin water mixture and keep it in freeze.
4.After 30 minutes prepare the strawberry jello with 3-4 tb sp hot water.
5.Take the pie out of freeze and pour the strawberry jello water on top to make some design.
and keep it back in freeze it will take 4-6 hours to set completely.
So it is a good idea to make it a day ahead of the time you are planning to have it.

No comments:

Post a Comment